As I mentioned in my previous blog, ketones have a positive effect on the brain. By cutting carbohydrates or carbs, you not only increase gamma aminobutyric acid or GABA in the brain, but also increase a chemical in the brain called Serotonin. Serotonin can have an effect on mood, social behavior, appetite and digestion, sleep, memory and sexual desire and function. Who wouldn’t want that! And when you restrict carbs or carbohydrates, ketones provide energy or a high to the brain and central nervous system.
Working as a psychiatric nurse, I deal with patients that are battling alcohol addiction. It is a disease! Alcoholics are in a relationship with their alcohol as a carb addict is with food. I can relate, as there is a common factor in that addiction, SUGAR.
What happens when sugar is consumed? The pancreas starts pumping out insulin, and sometimes too much insulin. Irritability and cravings for alcohol or carbs becomes a vicious cycle of abuse. Alternatively ketones can fuel the body just as effectively as sugar, but do not spike insulin levels.
Studies have been conducted on alcoholics to see if treating alcoholism with a high fat and low carb lifestyle is effective. Meetings simply do not work for everyone. From my personal conversations with alcoholics, they drink because of social anxiety. Do you think sending someone with social anxiety to a meeting, where they talk about their feelings, can be effective for everyone? Knowing that cutting carbs can positively impact the chemicals in the brain, these studies proved effectiveness for beating addiction. The cravings for alcohol go away. As a carb addict, switching my fuel source to ketones has eliminated my affair with food.
I always like to educate people on the effectiveness of essential oils. Essential oils that increase serotonin levels include: ergamot, Balance, marjoram, lavender, Melissa and wild orange, to name a few. Be sure when working with essential oils that you read the instructions on how to use the oils. Some are ingested, some are diffused, some are inhaled after rubbing into your hand, others should be diluted before coming in contact with the skin. If you have any questions about oils, please let me know.
If there are readers struggling with alcohol addiction, and considering trying a high fat low carb lifestyle, please see your doctor first. You need to be monitored by nurses and doctors. Quitting cold turkey can result in seizures, dangerously high blood pressures or even death.
Best Bacon Ever
Bacon is so popular right now. And why wouldn’t it be! It is a staple on the high fat and low carb lifestyle. Do not buy the pre-cooked bacon, there are too many preservatives and not enough fat. The method below is simple and easy to clean up. Get high with bacon!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Find a flat cookie sheet, preferably with lipped edges. Line the cookies sheet with aluminum foil, making sure the foil wraps around the edges of the cookies sheet.
- Rinse the bacon with water. The bacon will not shrink as much when you cook it.
- Lay the bacon flat on the aluminum foil, with no overlapping.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes. Watch the bacon over the last few minutes as cooking times vary by oven.
- Let the bacon cool a little bit and place on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Enjoy the best bacon ever!
Bacon= 0 Net carbs
- Clean your large leafy lettuce and pat dry with paper towel.
- Spread mayonnaise on the lettuce.
- Place bacon and avocados on the lettuce. (I do not use tomatoes because they are higher in carbs.)
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- I will spray some diluted lemon oil on the inside prior to closing the wrap.
- Enjoy this refreshing high fat & low carb meal!
The total carbs for the Bacon, Avocado Lettuce Wraps:
- Bacon – 0 grams of net carbs
- Avocado – 3 grams of net carbs for an entire avocado
- Mayonnaise – 0 grams of net carbs
Total Carbs = 3 grams of net carbs
Thanks again for reading! Be sure to click the follow button for more of The Low Carb Spread!
~ The Low Carb Spread ~